You may hear your doctor say that taking care of your heart is of vital importance to your overall wellbeing. One way to make sure that your heart stays strong through your condition is to eat a heart-healthy diet. Here are some of the best foods for heart health to keep in mind during your next trip to the grocery store.¹
1. Healthy nuts, such as almonds or walnuts.
2. Avocados and walnuts, which contain omega-6 fatty acids.²
3. Berries, which are full of heart-healthy phytonutrients and soluble fiber. Some of the best choices are blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cranberries.
4. Flaxseeds, which contain omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber to boost heart health. Eat them ground or milled for optimum benefit.
5. Fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring or trout, which are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
6. Poultry, in the place of fattier red meats.²
7. Oatmeal, which is full of healthy nutrients.
8. Dark beans, such as kidney beans and black beans, which are high in fiber, B-vitamins and minerals.
9. Veggies that are red, yellow and orange such as carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, red peppers and squash, which are filled with carotenoids, fiber and vitamins.
10. Fruits like oranges, cantaloupe and papaya are rich in beta carotene, potassium, magnesium and fiber.
11. Dark chocolate with cocoa content of at least 70%.
12. Whole grain breads, pasta and cereal.²
13. Calcium-rich foods like skim or 1% milk, low-fat or nonfat cheeses, and unsweetened yogurt.²
14. Green vegetables like asparagus and broccoli which are filled with fiber.
1. The Cleveland Clinic – Accessed 7/24/2015
2. HelpGuide.Org – Accessed 8/7/2015